Honey is a foodstuff that man has used for hundreds of years in his diet, along with olive oil, and is an integral part of today's gastronomy.
It is no coincidence that honey is widely used to make a wide variety of sweets and delicacies by millions of consumers around the world.
Especially the EU honey is used in many different ways thanks to the highest quality and food safety standards European beekeepers apply during their production.
Do you want to know more about European honey production? Do you want to learn where and how this sweet golden nutritional treasure comes from?Let's discover more about honey together and learn all its secrets !!
First of all, what honey is?
Honey is a natural product produced by bees, after they collect nectar from plants.
Which is honey production process?
- The bees collect the nectar from the plants, which after a special process they follow turns it into honey.
- Then this honey is deposited in the cells inside the honeycomb.
- There the honey is dehydrated and covered with a film so that it can be stored for a long time.
When the honey is being harvested?
- Depending on the area, the climatic conditions, the production of the bee, the producer can harvest the honey once a year or more.
- Basically, a very important feature that determines when the honey will be harvested is the moisture that the honey has.
- To be high quality and safe, its humidity must be 14% -18% during its collection.
- If the honey moisture is above 18% then the risk of spoiling our honey is extremely high.
How do we distinguish the quality of honey?
- Mostly with everyone's personal criteria such as the taste, aroma, color, texture of honey.
- Now that we have seen how honey is being produced, let's see what kinds of honey-do we have and theirs quality characteristics.
THE VARIETIES OF HONEY:
A honey rich in aroTHE VARIETIES OF HONEY:mas and with a fresh flavor. We produce it with nectar collected from flowers.
Produced from the ereiki plant, which is considered a pure beekeeping plant, and is characterized by a dark color and high content of nutrients.
Thyme honey (summer):
A very popular variety, with very aromatic honey, with rich taste and very beautiful color. Especially full in nutrients.
Orange (spring) honey:
Highly aromatic honey with a characteristic citrus flavor, honey full of freshness, and rich in nutrients.
But we don’t have only these kinds of honey, we also have:
It is a soft, flexible, sticky material containing basic resins and various juices, wax, essential oils, and pollen. Bees use propolis to spread the content of the hive, disinfect it, and close slits, and so on.
It is the honey that is offered to the consumer through the natural '' warehouse '' of the honeycomb, without being processed.
The honeycomb is removed from the beehive, cut into pieces, placed in transparent packaging, and consumed as it is. Chewing it, the honey comes out and in this way, we enjoy the wax and honey at the same time.
It is produced by the waxed glands of the bees which are located in their belly; this is the basic material to build the honeycomb. It is widely used in the manufacture of cosmetics, lamps, and candles, for ointments and patches, and to make varnishes and dyes.
As we see honey is not just another product, is a real food treasure. And especially European honey is made of the highest food quality and safety standards that ensure that all consumers will taste the best product on their table.